Saturday, December 8, 2007

Sad

Our family dog is going to be put to sleep on Monday morning. This is sad news. I loved Spooky. DH and I even dog sat her for an entire year while my parents were building their new house. She is a good dog. She's 16 years old. Blind and deaf and probably in quite a bit of pain from arthritis, plus her teeth are all rotting out. It is the best for us to let her go. I will not go and say goodbye to her. I can't. I recently had that experience with my beloved cat, Remmy, and I just am not strong enough to withstand it another time. I will just chose to remember Spooky's good times. She used to get so excited that she couldn't stand it. All she knew how to do was to run around the yard in figure eights for like 30 minutes at a time. She'd get really low to the ground and just fly. Sometimes she'd nose a soccer ball around with her in those figure eights too. She was a good soccer player. In the summer my parents would always get her sheared. She looked so funny without all of her fur. I would laugh at her forever and she never could seem to figure out why. She was a hunter. She's killed tons of rabbits and birds and even a stray ground hog or two I believe. But she never tried to hurt a cat. We don't know why. I guess she just knew that they were off limits. She was good with cats. They bothered her to death but she never snipped at them. Not even once. Mutts are always the best dogs. So good natured and so gentle. I will miss her when she's gone.

1 comment:

distantsecond said...

Nice tribute. Spooky's a great dog and she's had a nice, long life.