Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Coolest Thing EVER!

I think I have been feeling the baby move for the past 3 days or so. I had been feeling the occasional tap-tap here and there for a few weeks, but it was very sporadic and intermintent. But since I hit the 16-week mark I have been feeling these definite little taps/flutters/rumbles/tickles. I am 95% sure that this is the baby. It usually occurs around the same time each day. Mid-morning around 9-10 and I usually feel it if I am sitting down and kind of leaning forward. It's as if baby is getting kind of squished in that position and s/he is trying to let me know.

If this is the baby moving, then it is the coolest thing I have ever experienced. It makes me smile just to think about it.

I sent my rented Doppler back about 2 weeks ago but couldn't stand not being able to hear the heartbeat. So, I rented another one (it's only $24 a month!) and got it today. Sure enough, the heart is beating away and now you can even hear the different chambers beating. Also, the baby was definitely moving. It sounds like a little blip on the Doppler when that happens. So I know for a fact that baby is alive and moving. That peace of mind means a lot.

I am so excited!! I can't wait for the kicks and punches to get stronger and I can't wait for my husband to be able to feel it.

In other baby news, we find out baby's sex on December 16. It seems like a lifetime away. I really want to know NOW. My instinct is telling me boy. Probably because that ultrasound tech already said it was a boy (ugh, I wish she would have kept her mouth shut on that speculation since it was way too early to tell!). But I also have other reasons to think it's a boy. Stupid reasons not based in science.

#1: I didn't have bad morning sickness. The old wive's tale is that the worse the m/s, the more likely it is to be a girl (proven wrong to me by countless women before, but....)
#2: This baby is already moving quite a bit. One person just recently told me that she was able to feel her first moving quite early in the pregnancy too. He was a boy. (But come to think of it, my mom thought my sister Kelly was a boy for the same reason.)
#3: Whenever I hear the heartbeat via Doppler I always say to myself, "he's still in there."

So, yes, my reasons are dumb and I am aware of that. But I am a little bit afraid that I will be DISAPPOINTED if it turns out to be a girl. I need to prepare myself for girl, but I really don't know how to do that.

If you saw the look on my husband's face when I told him the ultrasound tech thought it was a boy at 12 weeks, you would understand why I am hoping for a boy. (Not that he wouldn't love and be excited about a girl too, but...)

5 comments:

Heather Haley said...

I vote for boy. Sure, there is the Dover boy influence to worry about, but at least Landon won't want to date him later.........

Anonymous said...

Can you tell us what doppler you're using? I don't want to get the wrong kind!

Worrybook said...

It's from babybeat.com. I am renting the cheapest one. First heard the heartbeat at 11 weeks. It doesn't tell you beats per minute, so if you want to splurge a little I'd go for one of the more expensive ones.

Marshmallow Circus said...

I too have to wait, till December 8th. I also have a feeling it's a boy but I really want another girl. I've never had a newborn girl and would love the experience.

Here's to waiting with patience..if we can!

Traci

Unknown said...

I recently read in a magazine that for some reason, it seems that the more healthy you are when you get pregnant and the more nutrients you have available., the more likely it is to be a boy, because for some reason they require more.
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but, I'll keep that in mind way down the road when I try to get pregnant and be sure to lay off on food and anything too nutritious :)