Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I Hate Eggs

At Jane's 15-month well-check she was supposed to get her MMR vaccination.  I was really nervous about it.  At one point in recent history the MMR was not given to kids with an egg allergy.  Now, it is considered safe for even those with extreme egg allergies.  Nevertheless, I was nervous and kept telling our Pediatrician about it.  He finally said that he would give her a skin-prick test (SPT) to see if she had a reaction, just to put me at ease.  We did it.  I cried.  He had to stick the needle all sideways into her arm and inject a little bit in.  It looked quite painful.  20 minutes later he said she is not getting her MMR shot until (and if) she outgrows her egg allergy.  Apparently, the welt she had was a reaction.  I was grateful we did the test and she did not get the shot.  Yay for my mommy instincts, right?  :-/

So we get back home and I call the allergist.  If the MMR is considered safe for egg-allergic kids, why did Jane react?  He told me he could give her the MMR shot in his office THIS FRIDAY in graduated doses.  He will do his own SPT and go from there.  He thinks our doctor overreacted as 50% of positive SPT readings are false. 

...sigh...

I'm really nervous about her getting it.  I know she will be under the best care possible if she does have some kind of reaction.  But, nervousness is racing through my veins.  We have to leave our house by 7:15 am (early for us) to go to Louisville and will undergo a series of shots within a 2-hour period.  My poor child. 

I hate food allergies.  I hate that it's ruined my life.  And it really has.  I'm scared to take Jane anywhere now.  Even our pediatrician said that you have to be careful if someone has even eaten an egg and then kisses Jane.  I asked him how long someone would have to refrain and he said 24 hours.  What?!  So if someone eats a cookie they have to stay away from my daughter or else she might have a fatal reaction.  How am I supposed to manage that?  I guess I will just keep her on lock-down for the rest of her life. 

This is the reason I am already worried about Thanksgiving and thinking of boycotting all holiday festivities this year.  This is the reason I can't take Jane on any overnight trips.  This is the reason I obsess over what she eats, even if I KNOW it is "safe".  This is the reason I have nightmares about EGGS. 

I can't deal with this. I just can't. I hate it. 

No comments: