Thursday, April 16, 2009

Big Baby???

DH and I went in for our 38 week appointment on Tuesday. After waiting around for more than an hour, I got to see the doctor who is always so good at reassuring me about everything. I guess he did...I feel better about GBS and the use of Pitocin, epidurals, etc. I still want to try for as natural as I can manage, but now maybe I won't feel like a failure if I end up with the dreaded Pitocin. At the end of my appointment he felt my stomach and said I was measuring 40 weeks instead of the 38 that I am. So he sent me off for an ultrasound to make sure all was well.

The ultrasound showed a healthy baby GIRL (phew...she's still JANE). She was taking practice breaths and you could see her little abdomen moving up and down. That was cool. She's so scrunched up in there that it's really hard to make much of anything out at this point. She is head down for sure (YAY!), but she is still very high and hasn't dropped yet. My amniotic fluid levels were "great", so I don't have to worry about that just yet either. The tech took some measurements and the computer estimated Jane to be at 8 pounds right now. That would mean that if she were born in week 40, she might be a 9-pounder. We will see though. I don't necessarily think she is. I know of way too many people who have had these predictions be off by more than a pound. Even the u/s tech told us the weight estimates are not very reliable this late in the game. Most tend to overestimate the weight, although I have also heard of them UNDERestimating the weight. I hope that's not the case for me.

It was neat to get to see Jane again. It's still weird to me that she is in there. And I still have a hard time believing I am going to be a mother in a few short weeks.

No comments: