Friday, March 7, 2008

Where I Stand


I went and did the MRI and the EMG test two days ago for my suspected illness. The EMG was really quite bad. It was VERY uncomfortable and the test itself looked completely medieval. They hooked me up to this machine and actually shocked me with electrical volts. This made for some very unpleasant sensations and twitching movements coming from my muscles. The other part of the EMG test was where they actually stick needles in you to do some kind of nerve conductivity test, but they didn't have to do that for me. Thank goodness. My palms were sweaty enough.

So after the EMG I went and got my MRI. That was not bad at all. Some people complain of feeling claustrophobic, but I didn't. The only bad part was that you had to sit very still for 25 minutes. And then another 20 minutes. And then they injected dye into my veins and I had to go back for another 10 minutes. Overall it was kind of relaxing. I just closed my eyes and counted my breaths. I also made a mini To Do List in my head. I really need to get to my taxes this weekend....

I've been on Zoloft for probably 1 week now, so it should be kicking in shortly. But I'm switching to Lexapro, so who knows how that'll change things. I actually feel pretty good at the moment. I cannot believe how out of control anxiety can get. I still have some weird physical sensations going on, but I am trying to chalk it up to my stressed out mind and body and stop attaching it to MS or something similar. I have good moments and bad.

Yesterday my feet felt tingly all day. I messed up and got back online and did some symptom searching. Yes...it's still MS. And yes...I know I shouldn't symptom search. It's so hard not to. It's like giving an alcoholic a beer and telling them to just hold it for you for a while. That's the way I feel about googling my symptoms. I'm on the internet ALL day and it just beckons to me. Easy access = trouble
So I won't get the results of these tests until next Thursday where I have a follow up appointment with my neurologist. I'm hoping it's good news and that I can start focusing on something different. Something better. Getting pregnant!!

No comments: