Thursday, February 26, 2009

My first brush with Labor & Delivery

Well, two weeks ago I got the WORST stomach bug I have ever had in my life. It was brutal. I have a very big aversion to throwing up. I will avoid it at all costs. In fact, I have never even thrown up from drinking alcohol. I have been sick as a dog from drinking, but my body simply will not purge itself. Friday I threw up probably 20 times. It was awful. I thought I was going to die. And the diarrhea...well, it was a scene. I won't get into all the details, but bad things happened.


Almost from the beginning, I knew I would end up going to the ER. I couldn't keep water down and I couldn't even bear to TRY to drink any water. Now, when you are pregnant staying hydrated is very important. And it's also very easy to get dehydrated. That's what happened to me. After a little bit of coaxing, DH took me to the ER. I knew I needed IV fluids (and maybe some drugs too please). As soon as we got to the ER they sent us up to Labor & Delivery. Whoa...crazy. I had never been up there before.


Once I got there, they put me in a room (the actual room where I will deliver this baby!). They hooked me up to an IV and I almost fainted from that. Jeremy had to wave an alcohol swab under my nose to keep me awake (not a good smell when you have a stomach bug). Then they hooked these monitors around my uterus to measure baby's heart rate and to see if I was having contractions. I was, so they gave me an IV of fluid for dehydration, which was the cause of the "irritable uterus" as they called it. The baby's heart rate was REALLY high too (at one point it was up to 200) because she was running out of amniotic fluid and because I had a slight fever. I felt so sorry for her. She was kicking like crazy because she was trying to get cool, but had nowhere to go and no fluid to help either. The doctor said she'd be fine though, but it was still pretty scary. Anyway, they had me stay overnight and I had about 4 bags of fluid with anti-nausea meds. That helped. My own resting heart rate the entire time I was there was anywhere from 100-120 and my blood pressure was really low. When they released me the next day we came home and then DH got sick, so it was definitely a stomach bug of some sort.


So that's that. After about 4 days I could finally eat solid foods again. I am still not 100% though. This really did some damage. Having a stomach bug is bad enough, but being 3o-ish weeks pregnant on top of it really makes for an unpleasant time.

1 comment:

Mommy Boots (formerly KarmaPearl) said...

Oh my goodness!!! I am so glad that you and the little one are okay. That sounds just miserable. I had food poisoning when I was 12, and it was one of the worst nights of my entire life. Things were exploding from either end, it was terrible.